Nurses in business for themselves are a rare breed. While over 62% of RNs work in the hospital setting, there are a small percentage of nurses that have found their own way and started profitable nursing businesses far away from the bedside. We like to call these successful nurse entrepreneurs NursePreneurs, and we are dedicated to helping NursePreneurs take control of their careers.
By connecting nurses with other Nurse Practitioner business owners, we give nurses the blueprint they need to set up their own businesses. With options in IV hydration therapy, concierge nursing businesses, cannabis consulting, chronic care management, and so much more, we set you up for success so you can be your own boss and do what you love while you’re at it.
We give you the tools that you need to set up your business. But before nurses in business for themselves can grow their businesses they need to get into the business mindset. From setting up websites to creating lead magnets, there’s a lot that goes into growing RN and Nurse Practitioner entrepreneur ideas into successful and profitable nursing businesses.
Lead generation is perhaps the most powerful marketing tool at your fingertips. But finding the right leads is not always easy. Plus, there are a million different ways to go about lead generation. Which lead generation methodology is the right lead generation method for RN and Nurse Practitioner business owners?
Should you take to cold calling or SEO? What about paid Facebook ads or building an Instagram following? While these methods have varying levels of success, we believe that all successful nurse entrepreneurs should have a lead magnet to help them attract the right clients/patients.
Keep reading to learn more about lead capture ideas and how to create lead magnets that grow your clientele.
What Is a Lead Magnet?
If you’re new to the concept you may be wondering, what even is a lead magnet?
- Lead magnets = free offers.
- Lead magnets = first impressions.
- Lead magnets = something of value.
- Lead magnets = client growth.
- Lead magnets = effective marketing.
Lead magnets are an offer made to entice customers to leave their email (or other valuable marketing information such as phone number, name, contact, etc.) in exchange for something of value. While the concept of a lead magnet in and of itself may seem simple, nurses in business for themselves can strengthen their client base by building an attractive lead magnet.
Lead magnets are best placed on websites, but you may also find lead magnets on blogs, in Instagram posts, Facebook cover pages, LinkedIn bios, podcasts, YouTube, or any other place where you commonly connect with your potential or current clients.
Check out these common examples of lead magnets:
- Lead Magnet Example #1: Checklists
Enter your email below to get your 2022 health checklist.
Checklists make for excellent lead magnets. In fact, they are one of the most high-performing lead magnets that successful nurse entrepreneurs utilize to build email lists and connect with the right audience. I don’t know about you, but I’m always happy to have a tangible checklist in my hand that I can tick-off.
- Lead Magnet Example #2: Templates
Click here to download your FREE magic email template!
Templates can alleviate a lot of heartache and work for your leads. By creating a simple, customizable outline, successful nurse entrepreneurs can provide their leads with something of value and in return build their email list. Everyone likes a good template!
- Lead Magnet Example #3: Lists
Claim your list of 50 profitable Nurse Practitioner business opportunities.
You may be surprised to see simple lists on our list of successful lead magnet ideas. But people love a good list of ideas–especially burnt-out NPs searching for Nurse Practitioner entrepreneur ideas! Your simple lead magnet could help other nurses get the inspiration they need to leave their bedside job and start their own business. Surely you’d gain a faithful client if that were the case.
- Lead Magnet Example #4: Discounts
Join our mailing list and receive a 20% discount on your next IV infusion!
I don’t know a single person that doesn’t love a discount. We are all looking for a good deal, and offering your leads a simple discount can help you gain a patient/client that may not have tried your products/services otherwise.
Lead Magnet Example #5: Quizzes
What’s your fitness spirit animal?
- Enter your email to see your results.
Online quizzes are easily one of the most engaging ways to build an email list of potential clients. Maybe you’re a health coach looking for new leads. Perhaps you’re a cannabis consultant looking for ideal clients that could benefit from CBD treatments. Whatever the reason, email lists are fun, engaging, and very informative.
- Lead Magnet Example #6: Webinars
It’s your last change to sign up for our webinar and receive exclusive tips and tricks on how to grow your concierge nursing practice.
Webinars have a highly perceived value to your leads. Not only are you building your own list of leads, but through webinars you have multiple opportunities to sell your viewers on your services/products. Webinars also create a sense of urgency, sending the message to your leads that if they don’t sign up, they will miss out!
You don’t need to hire a million-dollar-an-hour marketing company to help you build your client list, you just need to know how to play the game by creating a good lead magnet.
Why Every Business Needs a Lead Magnet
Whether you own 100 profitable nursing businesses or just 1 you need to include lead magnets in your lead generation business strategy. The good news? Creating a successful lead magnet is not really that difficult, and typically it doesn’t cost all that much.
In fact, many nurses in business for themselves create their own successful lead magnets. You can opt to hire someone to do it for you, too. Either way, lead magnets don’t break the bank, but can lead to noticeable growth–it should be a no-brainer that you need a lead magnet!
Not convinced that creating a lead magnet is the best use of your time? Here are some reasons why every business needs a lead magnet:
- Lead Magnets are The Best Way to Grow Your Email List
Every business should have an email list. Email lists help you stay in touch with your potential/current clients and can lead to the overall growth of your business. But how do you compile a list of emails? Lead magnets!
While lead magnets help you entice potential clients, the nurturing happens when you’re consistent about email marketing. Once you have built a solid email list with your lead magnet it’s time to warm up your leads by sending strategic emails that enable you to build trust with your audience and turn potential clients into loyal, paying customers.
- Lead Magnets are Your First Engagement With Potential Clients
When you are implementing a lead magnet strategy you need to realize that your lead magnet may be the first meaningful interaction that you have with your leads–you need to make that first impression count!
You can make a good impression on your leads through meaningful content. Be intentional about creating a lead magnet that has something valuable to offer. You want to be simplistic, but you also want to make your lead magnet worth your lead’s time.
You can ensure that your lead magnet is worth your reader’s time by targeting a practical issue or offering something of high value. For example, if you have a medspa, your website visitors may not budge to get a 5% coupon on treatments. The reward is not worth the effort it takes to get the coupon. But knock that number up to 20% and you may see that your lead magnet has much more success because of the high reward.
Your lead magnet is your opportunity to put your best foot forward. It is a way in which you can show your leads that you know what you’re doing and you can offer them something that’s valuable and worth their time.
Lead magnets are the bridge between you and your potential clients. Having a valuable lead magnet can lead to a long relationship with potential clients/patients, so make sure that you’re making a good first impression with your lead magnet.
- Lead Magnets are Personalized for Every Business
The good news about lead magnets is that they are highly personalized. When you create a lead magnet you are creating a piece of content that’s unique to your business. You are showing your leads what you and your business have to offer.
A common aim of lead magnets is to provide useful information. Useful information can be delivered in the form of checklists, eBooks, tutorials, guides, etc. Another common aim of lead magnets is to provide some form of entertainment. If you prefer to go the entertaining route with your lead magnet you might opt to create a quiz or survey.
No matter what you choose to create, make it your own, have fun with it, and of course, make sure that you’re providing your leads with something of value.
Need some help creating your lead magnet? Here are some tips nurses in business for themselves can use when creating a unique and effective lead magnet:
- Provide Insight- The best lead magnets provide insight that your leads can not find anywhere else. If you’re looking for some ways to add more valuable insight to your lead magnet you can spice up your content with a case study, statistics, or personal stories. As long as your lead magnet is unique and insightful, you’re doing something right.
- Invest in Design- Lead magnets don’t just provide invaluable information, they should also be easy on the eyes. If you are not a professional designer, then employ the help of someone who is! A little design goes a long way. Plus, a well designed lead magnet makes it easier for leads to engage with your content.
- Bigger Is Better- While the statement bigger is better is not always true, when it comes to lead magnets you should never skimp. Take some time to flesh out your lead magnet and fill it with valuable information. You want your consumer to feel as if they have been rewarded in some way. If they have been promised an eBook, a one pager will not cut it. The same goes if you’ve promised to send quiz results and you give a short explanation of their results without going into details. Remember, lead magnets are a first impression, and you need to make that first impression count.
- Brand Consistency- Your lead magnet should be geared toward a specific audience. As you continually reach your audience you need to make sure that your lead magnet content is consistent with your vision and brand. Is the design of your lead magnet in-line with your branding? What about colors? Is the content you are offering providing quality insights that reflect your business? These are all questions to ask when creating a unique lead magnet.
- Lead Magnets Help You Establish Yourself as an Expert
Your lead magnet should be so packed full of valuable information that your leads consider you to be an expert in your field. That’s why you need to go the extra mile when creating an attractive and informative lead magnet.
Delve into the details. Give your leads something to really think about. Remember that the purpose of lead magnets is to grow your business, so you need to entice your leads enough to win over their business.
What Makes a Good Lead Magnet?
Now that you know what a lead magnet is and you know what the value of having a good lead magnet can be, it’s time to create your lead magnet. To recap, here are some of the most popular types of lead magnets that nurses in business for themselves can use to build a list of potential clients:
Perhaps the most difficult part of creating a lead magnet is picking what kind of lead magnet you want to create. You must first think about your target audience and then decide on a lead magnet that would be valuable to them. For instance, if your target is nurse entrepreneurs, then maybe you can compile a list of nurse practitioner business opportunities, backing up each idea with a case study. Or if you’re a health coach seeking new clients, maybe you can create a health quiz that reveals to your leads what kind of food relationship style they have.
Remember that no matter what you choose, it should be valuable to your targeted audience and it should establish you/your business as an expert.
Read on to learn more about the elements that all good lead magnets should have:
- Extremely Specific Information- Your lead magnet is made for an extremely specific audience, it should contain extremely specific information. Do not create a cookie-cutter generalized magnet that appeals to just any lead, create something that will generate the right leads. Don’t be afraid to get specific with the details, and remember that you’re establishing yourself as an expert in a particular field.
- A Solution to a Real Problem- Lead magnets need to solve a real problem. If it doesn’t help your prospective client, then move on to another idea that will.
- Easy to Consume- No matter if your lead magnet is a one pager or a 20 page eBook, your lead magnet needs to be easy to consume. You can make your lead magnet consumable through thoughtful design. Organize information, add pictures, split your content into different sections. Do whatever you can to make your content easy to consume.
- High Value Content- Like we have said before and will continue to reiterate throughout this article, your content needs to offer value. Not only does your reader need to get something of value from your lead magnet, but it needs to look irresistible. It needs to have a high reward both in terms of written content and design.
- Instant Gratification- Everyone loves instant gratification. Whether you’re offering an IV hydration discount coupon or a list of nurse practitioner entrepreneur ideas, there needs to be some sort of instant gratification that your leads get from choosing to exchange their contact information for your lead magnet.
- Demonstrated Credibility- You need to establish yourself an expert in your field. Demonstrate your credibility by reinforcing what you do and highlighting your qualifications to do it.
If your lead magnet includes the previously listed elements then you’re off to a good start! But remember that it is always a good idea to get an extra set of eyes to review your content. Be open to feedback from trusted colleagues, clients, and loved-ones.
You may also want to get someone to go through and edit your written content. No matter how strong of a writer you may be, you want to put your best foot forward, and even small writing errors can be a distraction that tarnishes your credibility.
How to Distribute Your Lead Magnet
Once you have fine-tuned your lead magnet and created a credible piece of content that offers your leads something of high value, it is time to distribute your lead magnet. But where?
The short answer, nurses in business for themselves should put their lead magnet everywhere!
From your website to social media outlets, podcasts, and every place inbetween, your lead magnet can attract potential leads everywhere you go. Here’s a list of the best places you can distribute your lead magnet:
- At the Bottom of Your Blog
If a reader has taken the time to make it all the way through your blog then there is a good chance that they are willing to see what else you have to offer. Not to mention, your blog is a place where you establish your authority as an expert, your readers will want to see what other valuable information you can provide them.
- On an Exit Pop-Up
Did you know that exit pop-ups have been proven to produce higher conversions than any other type of pop-up? As a non-invasive pop-up option, exit pop-ups can present your lead magnet before your leads abandon your page. It also can make your leads re-think leaving your page altogether–which is good for SEO!
- In Your Instagram Bio
It’s no secret that Instagram is a fantastic place to connect with the right audience. When you leave your lead magnet in your Instagram bio you’re giving your followers 24/7 access to your lead magnet. You can also reference your lead magnet in your posts, stories, reels, and other places on your business or personal Instagram account.
- On the Caption for Your Facebook Cover Photo
Facebook is another great place to put your lead magnet. When you place an ad for your lead magnet on your Facebook cover photo it’s the first thing that people see when they come to your Facebook page.
- Above the Header of Your Website
When you put your lead magnet above the header of your page you have the opportunity to grab them the moment that they land on your website. Unlike pop-ups (that can also be a good place to put your lead magnet) placing your magnet above your header is a friendly and non-invasive way to get your visitor’s contact info and give them the option to keep scrolling if they aren’t interested. Placing your lead magnet above your header can also decrease site abandonment and increase scroll time.
- On Your Podcast
Your podcast listeners already know that you have something to offer them–so take it a step further and advertise your lead magnet on your podcast. You can also advertise your lead magnet as a podcast guest (just make sure you’ve gotten permission from the podcast host).
You can put your lead magnet anywhere! In fact, the more places you put it, the more likely it is that you’ll generate leads–so get crazy with it!
At NursePreneurs we are dedicated to helping passionate healthcare professionals like you set up successful businesses. From IV hydration therapy, concierge nursing, chronic care management, and more, we get nurses in business for themselves so they can utilize their skills and talents outside of the traditional hospital setting. Profitable nursing businesses don’t pop up overnight, sign up for our courses and get a blueprint to success and connect with other successful nurse entrepreneurs who have paved the way before you.
Now’s the time to take control of your career! Click here to learn more about practical Nurse Practitioner business opportunities and grow your business today!
You can also subscribe to the Catie Harris YouTube channel for more tips, tricks, and advice for registered nurse and Nurse Practitioner business owners.