If you’re a Registered Nurse that’s interested in learning how the legal and medical worlds collide, then exploring a career in legal nurse consulting may be right for you! Legal nurse consultants (LNCs) are healthcare professionals that offer attorneys their consulting services to assist with cases involving medical issues.
Legal nurse consultants provide their services in a plethora of ways. Some of the most common LNC services include:
- Case Merit Review
- Client Interviews
- Medical Record Examination
- Locating/Acting As Expert Witness
- Medical Jargon Translation
- Creating Timelines
- Auditing Medical Bills, etc.
Shaun Sever is a certified legal nurse consultant and the founder of SPLNC. Starting her business from scratch, Shaun shared a few pro tips for other nurses looking to start their own practices, one being, stay persistent! Accounting persistence is the driving force to make LNC a business (not just a side hustle) Shaun explains that it takes time and effort to build your nursing business, so be patient while you keep the pressure on.
“A river cuts through rock, not because of its power, but because of its persistence.”–James N. Watkins
Here are some other practical tips for getting your legal nurse consulting business off the ground:
- Establish a workplace free of distractions where you can focus on growing your business and conducting your services.
- Use every opportunity to network with other LNCs and attorneys that can utilize your services.
- Set up long-term goals for your business and stick to a plan to make them a reality!
- Use social media platforms to your advantage! You can connect with leads via Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and other popular platforms.
- Learn from other legal nurse consultants–ask questions and soak up their advice!
- Build authority in the legal nurse consulting industry through education. Pro tip: starting a blog is never a bad idea.
- It’s OK to subcontract work to other legal nurse consultants. If you’re not an expert on a certain case, bring someone in who is.
- Seek further education and certification if necessary. There’s always more to learn!
- Develop a realistic marketing strategy that’s tailored to your target audience.
- Don’t let your legal nurse consulting business take over your life. There’s a time to work and a time to rest, good work-life balance is key.
Are you interested in pursuing a career as a legal nurse consultant? At NursePreneur we give you a blueprint to success for starting your own LNC practice. Now’s the time to take control of your career and be your own boss! Contact us today to learn more.